Friday, December 11, 2009

This Moment


"Time is a companion
 that goes with us on a journey.
It reminds us to cherish each moment,
because it will never come again."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard -


There is a moment that somehow always finds me every year, in the early Spring and Winter. It is so implanted in my memory that it immediately takes me back everytime! That is when the geese fly South. You always hear them first and then you have to look waay up and try to spot them. That IS my favorite sound, moment, sight, every year. The moment isn't exactly the same everytime, but it is so nearly the same that I can close my eyes and feel like I'm a child again in my Grandmother's backyard, feel that I'm planting my old garden, feel like I'm outside with my Dad telling me all he knew about the geese. It's funny how I forget about them until I hear them, and then it all comes running back! I'm glad that those memories are linked to the coming and going of the geese, because they never fail to remind me, so clearly, everytime.

 
Now, the reason I was able to get a pic of them was because I was on my way out to take a pic of a lost and found little hen of mine. After a little worrying and a little thinking I found her, behind a hay bell and laying an egg!

 

Well, after she layed it she didn't act as if she was in any hurry to leave so!, I kind of backed her out with a stick and lo and behold...



... a bounty! I don't know, she might have been setting, I think the other three are all the same color so... if I was guessing, that would be Mim, and no telling how long they've been there, so we've stored them away in a safe place to examine later:)



This is Delphi, the missing hen. I'm so glad we found her and she seems to have found her motherly instincts. I'll have to keep and eye on her! Pa says, "No chicks during the winter!" So heigh ho Spring! 

2 comments:

  1. I have to tell you that I find it amazingly cool that you quoted Captain Jean Luc Picard. That man was amazing, even if he was a fictional character. Also, your hen is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that quote. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete